Friday, May 7, 2010

KSHETRA FOR THE MONTH OF MAY 2010


MADURAI- PART I

This is the month of Chitra ( April- May). Madurai is always associated with the Chitra Pournami festival. Azhagar Perumal of Azhagar kovil visits the Vaigai river on a horse back. Lakhs of people throng to see this great festivity. Madurai is an ancient kshetra. The capital city of Pandya desha, it is famous for the Tamil Sangam literature, pearls, many temples and wonderful art forms.The flag of Pandya desha had the symbol of a fish. The story behind it:

There was a king by name Sathyavratha. He was the ruler of the Pandya empire. He was a strong and intelligent ruler. He chose to retire to the forest in his last years. In the forest he used to have his bath everyday in the river of kruthamala. One fine day as he was performing his daily ablutions, he took water in his hand and was astonished to see a fish swim in his hand. With a feel of disgust he immediately threw it back into the river. The fish at once spoke in Sanskrit “ Oh Satyavratha, I take refuge in you. Please show mercy upon me and protect me. I do not want to live here as fishes are the enemies of fishes themselves. I fear some fish or shark might eat me up. Please save me from danger.” Feeling pity the king took the fish in his kamandalu and as he reached his house he was surprised to see the small fish grow in size. It filled the entire kamandalu space. For fear of suffocatuion the king decided to put it into the well. As he threw it into the well he was further surprised to see the fish grow hugely in size. It filled the entire well. He then threw it into a small pond nearby and aghast the entire pond was fully filled by this single fish. The king along with many of his well wishers lifted the huge fish and threw it back into the Indian ocean. The fish immediately said “ Oh King.It is not fair on your part to let down a refugee. I have taken refuge under your feet and it is your duy to protect me. Alligators would eat me up any time in this sea. Take me out from here.
The king with fold d hands said “ I bow down before you. I do not know who you are. Nor do I know your greatness. You cannot be an ordinary fish indeed. You talk in Sanskrit. You seem to be a magical fish. Are you that Matsya Avathar of the Lord whom I worship everyday.
The fish immediately acknowledged “ Oh King, I shall speak out the truth. Iam indeed that Lord whom you offer worship everyday. Pleased by your devotion I , Lord Narayana decided to bless you and at the same time show the world a message that Those who seek refuge should always be protected at any cost. Iam that same Matshya moorthy who previously slayed Madhu kaitabha and protected the Vedas. Seven days from now there will be a pralaya. Think of me and I will save you.
As already instructed by the lord there indeed was a pralaya and Satyavratha thought of the Lord at once. He arrived as Matsyamoorthy along with the saptharishis. He lifted the world like a boat on His horn ( Matsyamoorthy is a horned avathar). Along with the sapthariushis the Lord saves Sathyavratha too.

Sathyavratha after the pralaya hence installed the diety of Lord Vishnu, built a huge temple for Him and worshipped Him there.This Lord is Koodal Azhagar , who stands in the heart of the city of Madurai.He calls all of us and gives His blessings to us with His aahvana mudra. Satyavratha in his next birth became Vaivaswatha manu who rules us right now. This manvanthara is named after him as vaivaswatha manvanthara.

(To be continued)

No comments: