Thursday, June 9, 2011

KSHETRA FOR THE MONTH OF JUNE 2011



THIRUVALLAVAZH
SriVallabhapuram(Thiruvallavazh) is a sacred place in Kerala. There once existed a pishacha by name Gantakarna in Kailasa. He was a Shivabhaktha and a hater of Vishnu. He used to have a bell (Ganta) around his ears and shake them whenever he heard the name of Vishnu. Once he came upon Krishna and Arjuna on their way to Kailasa. Gantakarnan, quite surprised by their act questioned them their purpose of visit. Arjuna atonce said “ I worshipped the feet of Krishna and saw in my dream Lord Shiva granting the paasupatastra. I just wanted to know how the two are interrelated. I asked Krishna how this was possible and he replied that the answer would be a kailasa yatra. Hence we are here.” Gantakarnan quite enthusiastically began describing “ Shiva is the omnipotent Lord and He is the All pervading Lord.” But Arjuna refutes “ I have heard that Lord Krishna is the Lord of all Lords and I have also seen with my own eyes His Vishwaroopa.” As soon as Arjuna said this Gantakarna’s eyes shone in anger. They all reached Kailasa and there they had the wonderful darshan of Lord Shiva who looked straight at Gantakarnan and spoke to him.” All the shastras declare that Lord Narayana is the All pervading diety and giver of moksha Hence we are all part of Him. Gantakarnan was surprised at this and worshipped Krishna and Arjuna who were none but NaraNarayana. Krishna and Lord Shiva worshipped each other. Shiva looked at Arjuna and said” Lord Krishna’s worship will bestow everything on us. Those who show hatred towards him will be despised by me too.” Arjuna was thus satisfied by his reply and Gantakarna too came to Thiruvallavazh kshetra to worship Lord Vishnu. In the end he attained liberation. Thus the worship of Lord Vishnu at this kshetra grants longevity, prosperity and peace.

1 comment:

suryakala said...

Jai Sri krishna, poojya hari anna and visakaji,
I also have heard that ghantakarna stayed at badri temple and our journey will be incomplete without informing him about our visit. Krishna has made him sit there to address the devotees and he will be given liberation. I am glad I heard about your explanation which adds new kshetram for my list of places to be visited.
Romba romba nandri, Suryakala, usa