Thursday, April 30, 2009

SHLOKA OF THE MONTH MAY 2009


Soumithre Bhunkshva bhogamsthvam ishtan rajyaphalani cha

Jeevitham chaapi rajyam cha thvadartham abhikaamaye.”


The Lord is an ocean of mercy. In Srimad Bhagavatham in the episode of Ambarisha the Lord says “ My abode- Vaikunta or my spouse- Sri Devi or My uthsavams I sport only to delight my devotees.” He loves His devotees. His devotees too know nothing but Him. Each one of Sri Rama’s devotees are Adarsha purushas ( ideal devotees). Their devotion is praise worthy. They are ready to sacrifice anything for His sake. Of all of them Lakshmana is the greatest. Rama left for the forest. Lakshmana immediately followed suit. He did not think of his abode, nor of Urmila his wife, nor of his own pleasure, nor of his parents. Rama was his sole refuge. He did not part from Rama all his life. Service to Rama was his sole objective.

Dasharatha announced Sri Rama’s pattabhishekam. He informed Sri Rama too. Immediately Rama hugged Lakshmana to his bosom and said the following words:

“ In the Ikshvaku race it is the tradition to crown the eldest as king. So has our father arranged for my coronation. I have also hence given my consent. But Lakshmana though I will be crowned King you will rule the entire Ayodhya samrajya.This kingdom is yours. Iam myself yours.” This episode highlights Sri Rama’s unparalleled love for Lakshmana.



No comments: