Tuesday, October 8, 2013

KSHETRA FOR THE MONTH OF OCTOBER 2013

                                                      
                                                            THIRUVAHEENDRAPURAM

There was a prajapathi by name Arishtanemi. He had two wives, Vinatha and Kadru. The wives fought with each other regarding a horse by name Uchaisravas which aarose out of the ksheerabdi. Vinatha argued that the tail of the horse was white whereas Kadru said it was black in colour. The silly argument turned wild. Kadru concluded that if it was white she would become the slave of Vinatha else Vinatha should turn her slave. But Kadru played foul game. She sent her sons, the black serpants and asked trhem to cover the tail of the horse so that it looked black. Vinatha believed the tail was really black and as promised she became Kadru’s slave. In due time two sons were born to Vinatha. Her eldest son was Aruna, the charioteer of the Sun whereas her younger son was none other than Garuda, the Lord’s divine carrier. Garuda came to know of his mothers slavery. He begged Kadru to release her. But Kadru releneted on the condition that he would bring her nectar from the ksheerabdi.

Immediately Garuda proceeded to capture the pot of nectar. A severe battle ensued between the Devas and Garuda. The Devas were defeated and they inturn surrendered to the Lord. Lord Vishnu met Garuda on the way and asked him to return the nectar. Garuda, now proud of having won over the Devas  refused to relent. He said “ I have obtained this through my might and if you want it back may you fight with me. “ The Lord smiled and said “ Being the soul of every being I can easily win you but I prefer your friendship to war.” Garuda was still adamant. “ Iam greater than you and you very well know this. This is why you prefer my friendship, being afraid of me. “ The Lord too said ‘ Yes. I accept that you are stronger than me and Iam weak. That is exactly the eason why I would like to make friendship with you. Saying so as an act of friendship the Lord threw one of his arms around Garuda’s shoulder. Unable to bear the weight of a single arm Garuda panted in exhaustion. He finally agreed that the Lord was the creator of all. Yet he said “ My mother has been enslaved and this is why I need the nectar”. The Lord told him “ Kadru had cheated your mother. The tail of the horse is white in reality. Show it to her and your mother would be released free. Gaaruda thanked the Lord for his advice and handed over the pot of nectar. The Lord pleased with his love towards his mother said “ Ask any boon of me, My dear”. Garuda said “ iam indeed jealous of your brain and brawn. I want to be superior to you in might and fame. “ The Lord said “ may you be my carrier. Thus it would be proven to the world that you bear  Me ( my weight), who has all the world in Himself. Also You can stay as as ymbol in my flag. That way you will be above me” Garuda thanked Him profusely, freed his mother and came back to the Lord. However he was filled with the guilt of having tested the Lord’s might. Hence he came to  Bhuloka, to Oshadiparvatha. He made a lake from his beak It is called The Garuda river. He planted Mruthasanjeevani on this hillock. Aadisehsa too created a well called Amruthakupa. Garuda prayed to Lord Devanatha at the banks of this river. Those who visit this kshetra will get rid of all diseases. Since  this kshetra totally was conceived by adisesha it came to be called Thiru aheendrapuram. The Lord is called Devanatha ( deiva nayagan). A Hayagriva swami sannidhi is also here. Swami Desika worshipped hayagriva and Garuda on this hillock.

No comments: